Contact

Eastwood and Pollock

Polloc—Pulloc. Estwod—Hestwod [Regist. de Passelet.].

The ancient manors of Nether Polloc and Estwod had originally each its own church, and constituted separate parishes. Before the end of the 12th century, Peter the son of Fulbert, who took the local surname of Polloe, gave to the monks of Paisley the church of Polloe, with its pertinents in lands and waters, plains and pastures; which was confirmed to them for their own use and support by Bishop Jocelin, who died in 1199 [Regist. de Passelet, pp. 98, 99.]. In 1227, at the general settlement of the allowances to the vicars of the abbey churches, the vicar of Polloe was appointed to have the altar dues and two chalders of meal and five acres of land by the church, the rest of the church land remaining with the monks.

The church of Estwod was also the property of the abbey of Paisley, but acquired somewhat later. Its donor is not known. It may have been founded by the monks themselves on their own manor. It was certainly the property of Paisley in 1265, when Pope Clement IV. confirmed both the churches of Estwood and Polloc to the abbey, with their other possessions [Regist. de Passelet, p. 308.].

After that period Polloc disappears as a separate parish and parochial name. It is not known whether it included Upper Polloc, now a part of the parish of Mearns. Its ancient church probably stood beside the castle upon the bank of the Cart. It was dedicated to Saint Convallus, the pupil of Saint Kentigern, whose feast was celebrated on the 17th of May [Regist. de Passelet. p. 64.]. The old church may have continued to exist as a chapel.

From the 13th century the parish of Eastwood has comprehended both the lands of Nether Polloc and Eastwood. It is about four miles long by three broad, and may be said generally to slope from a range of hills on the south-east (where it marches with Mearns) downwards to north-west. It embraces the fine valley watered by the White Cart and Aldhouse burn. The Brock burn is its western boundary.

The ancient church of Estwood was situated a mile to the west of the present church, near the junction of the Eastwood and Shaw burns, and near to Aldhous, which in 1265 was the property of the abbey of Paisley [Regist. de Passelet, p. 64.].

In the rental of Paisley, 1561, the parsonage of Estwood is stated at 1 eh. 7 b. 3 f. of meal, and 1 eh. 3 b. 2 f. of barley [Rental of Assumptions.]. The vicarage is taxed in Baiamond according to a value of £26, 13s. 4d. The third of the vicarage in 1561 was £17, 15s. 6⅔d [Compt. of Col. Gen. of thirds of ben.].

Polloc was part of the great estate bestowed by David I. upon the first high steward; and like most of their manors, soon passed into the possession of their military vassals.

Peter the son of Fulbert, the first of the surname of Polloc, in the latter half of the 12th century, was a follower of Alan Fitz-Walter, the high steward, whom he calls his Advocatus or patron, and held by his gift both Polloc and Mernis [Regist. de Passelet, p. 98.]. In 1230, Robert the son of Robert de Polloc, gave to the monks of Paisley 12 merks of the ferm of his land of Polloc, for the weal of the souls of Walter Fitz-Alan, and of Alan his son, and for the souls of Peter de Polloc, and Robert son of Fulbert, on condition of being admitted to fraternity and participation of the merits of the whole Cluniac order [Regist. de Passelet, p. 378.]. The possessions of the Pollocs came, it is believed by marriage of the heiress, into the family of Maxwell, before the end of the 13th century.

In 1265, Roger the son of Reginald de Aldhous, resigned all claim to the land of Aldhous, part of the dower (dos) of the church of Saint Convallus of Polloc, which land he and his father had held in ferm [Regist. de Passelet, p. 63.]. John de Aldhus, the son of Roger, again renounces his right in most solemn manner in the Court of the Justiciar of Lothian, at Glasgow in 1284; obtaining a grant of a portion of the land for the lives of himself and his wife [Regist. de Passelet, p. 65.] But a century afterwards the monks required to get from the Steward, their hereditary patron, a specific confirmation of their infeftments and certain misty possessions, especially of Aldhous, as part of their barony and liberties [Regist. de Passelet, p. 66.].

Nether Pollock, says Wishaw, stands upon the Cart, ‘in a fertile soil, ane great old house’. The village of Pollock or Pollockshaws is probably ancient.