Eglisham. [Regist. de Passelet, App. I.]

Eglisham, literally ‘The church place’, gives name to this parish, part of the high ground forming the southern boundary of the valley of the Clyde. It slopes downwards from the southwest, where it has an elevation of 1000 or 1200 feet above the sea level. The Earn and the Kevoch burn, with several other streams, flow through it to the Cart, which forms its north-eastern boundary.

The church was a free parsonage, of which the patronage belonged to the lords of the barony until about 1430, when Sir Alexander Montgomery Lord of Eaglesham, the patron, consented to its being erected into a prebend for a canon of Glasgow, reserving the right of patronage. [Regist. Glasg., p. 340] Roger Gerland was rector of Eglisham in 1308-70, and Thomas de Arthurly in 1388. [Regist. De Passelet, pp. 329, 427, 337] After this erection of the church into a prebend of Glasgow, a resident vicar was appointed with a salary of 20 merks. [Regist. Glasg., p. 340] The church was situated with its village about a mile from the old castle of Polnoon, upon a stream which joins the Cart. The old church, which was in use till about 1790, was described as ‘a very diminutive place’.

The rectory is valued in Baiaumund at £106, 13s. 4d., and in the taxation of the 16th century at £90, 7s. 6d. It paid £3 for the ornaments of the cathedral church, and nine merks for a choral vicar. [Regist. Glasg., p. 344, 347] At the time of the Reformation the rectorial tythes produced 14 chalders, 13⅓ bolls, of meal, let for £186, 13s. 4d. [Rental of Assumptions]

The ancient manor of Eaglesham, 100 merk land of old extent, with which the parish was co-extensive, appears to have been bestowed by the high steward upon his follower, Robert de Mundegumri, of Norman origin, and evidently high in his leader's confidence, [Regist. De Passelet] or on some of his immediate descendants. John de Mungombry Lord of Eglysham, in 1388, [Regist. De Passelet, p. 337] married the daughter and heiress of Sir Hugh de Eglintoun of Eglintoun and Ardrossan.

Some remains of Polnoon castle, the baronial residence of the Montgemeries, were standing in 1790 upon the banks of a rivulet of the same name, which falls into the Cart.

The village or kirktoun of Eaglesham is undoubtedly very ancient.