Contact

Cathcart

Katkert—Ketkert [Regist. de Passelet, pp. 5, 7.].

A Parish of remarkable variety of surface; the White Cart, entering the parish at the south-eastern extremity, flows through it to the north-west, sometimes lost between steep wooded banks, and at others spreading out in open plains. Many places derive their names from the wood which formerly covered the greater part of the parish, and which still springs naturally where it is allowed.

Walter Fitz-Alan, the great steward of Scotland, between 1165 and 1173 bestowed the church of Cathcart upon the monks of his abbey of Paisley. It was confirmed to them in proprios usus by Bishop Jocelin,[Regist. de Passelet] and continued in their possession till the Reformation [Rental of Assumptions].

The church, castle, and village were situated on the east bank of Cart, where it runs in a deep, rocky, and narrow channel between steep banks. The church was dedicated to Saint Oswald, probably the Northumbrian king, who lived in the sixth century, and who was commemorated by the church on the 5th of August. Jonetta Spreull, lady of Cathkert, who died there 22d October 1530, directed her body to be buried in the choir of Saint Oswald in Cathkert [Commis. Records Glasg.].

The rectorial tithes of Cathcart were let by the abbey before the Reformation for £40.

By a settlement in 1227 the vicarage was fixed at the produce of the altar dues, with three chalders of meal. It is taxed in Baiamond as of the value of £26, 13s. 4d. The third of the vicarage of Cathcart in 1561 was £16 [Compt. of Col. Gen. of thirds of ben.].

The parish seems at first to have embraced at least two ancient manors, Cathcart and Drep, which were both granted, with other estates, by David I. to Walter Fitz-Alan, the high steward of Scotland. The vassals of that great family who obtained the land of Cathcart, soon adopted it as their surname. Reinaldus de Ketkert is a witness to several charters of his over lord before the end of the twelfth century [Regist. de Passelet.]. Sir Alan de Kethkert was one of the companions in arms of Bruce [Barbour.]. The land of Drep was granted by the Steward to Paisley Abbey, at the time of its foundation. In the twelfth century it was already set in ferme by the abbey, apparently for two merks of silver [Regist. de Passelet, pp. 309, 409.]. The land of Akynhead was confirmed by Robert II. to John de Maxwell, knight, and his wife, Isabella de Lyndesay, the king's grand-daughter, in 1373 [Reg. Mag. Sig.].

The square tower which formed the whole of the original castle of Cathcart, was still inhabited in 1740. It stands, surrounded by later buildings, on a precipitous rock overhanging the Cart.

In removing the earth from a quarry near the site of the old castle of Williamwood, about thirty years ago, was discovered below ground a little town of forty-two houses, apparently of great antiquity.

Langside, a village of this parish, gave its name to the battle, the last effort made by the adherents of Mary before her flight into England.